Popular 1:1 Traffic Exchange

Thursday, February 18, 2010

It's SUPPOSED to be easy...

All of my experience with "headhunters" prior to the last six months was relatively simple....

1. Headhunter has position @ client company
2. Headhunter sees my resume and sees that it matches what client company was looking for
3. Headhunter calls me, tells me about job
4. I tell Headhunter "yes, I am interested in the job
5. Headhunter submits my resume to client company
6. I am offered the job

Done. End of story.

The last six months, it's been like this...

1. Headhunter has position at client company
2. Headhunter picks out 6-12 resumes he sees that match what client company is looking for
3. Headhunter calls 6-12 potential applicants, (I am one of them) and tells them about the job
4. Headhunter asks questions that would be easily answered if he had really read my resume, but I will give the benefit of the doubt because maybe they just want to be sure I know what I said on my resume.
5. Headhunter sends over 6-12 pages of forms that must be filled out and faxed back.
6. I fill out the forms and send them back.
7. Headhunter receives fax and spends 15 minutes rehashing what is on the fax. Allegedly "to clarify"
8. Headhunter sets up and sends online testing.
9. I complete the testing, scoring in the high 90's to 100% on each test.
10. Headhunter contacts me about needing to reword my resume.
11. Headhunter submits my resume, with very relevant information omitted, over my objections because they have "worked with this employer extensively and know what they are looking for".
12a. I never hear from the headhunter or the company again
OR
12b. I get an interview
13. I ask for a copy of what the Headhunter sent the company. My request is ignored or I am told "we didn't change it that significantly, don't worry about it"
14. The interviewer asks for my resume. I wasn't provided a copy of what the headhunter sent the company so I provide my standard resume.
15. Interviewer looks at resume and is confused.
16a. I have a 10 minute interview that I know did not go well
OR
16b. I have an interview that seems to go really well
17. I follow up with the headhunter, give them an assessment. I'm told I'll hear something "in a few days"
18a. I never hear from the Headhunter or the company again. Calls and emails go unanswered.
OR
18b. Headhunter calls to let me know I didn't get the job. Says s/he is "dismayed" because I "was the best of the 6-12 applicants that they sent to the the client company."
REPEAT... over and over and over...

Or Headhunter scenario B (in the last 6 months)

1. Headhunter has position at client company
2. Headhunter sees my resume and sees that it matches what client company was looking for
3. Headhunter calls but I miss the call. I call back ASAP.
4. I never hear from the Headhunter again. Calls and emails go unanswered.

Also REPEAT... over and over and over...

I used to think Headhunters looked like this:


But now I'm pretty sure that they actually look like this:

No comments: